Thursday 21 July 2011

Reccurent miscarriage clinic

Our doctor finally sends us to the recurrent miscarriage clinic, it is held in the EPAC where I went when I lost Junior. The appointment was very difficult. It's almost impossible to explain the feelings and waves of emotion that I experienced from being back there. There was the sorrow and heartache of recalling that awful day but there was also hope mixed in there too, hope that we would finally be getting some answers and be a step closer to bringing our baby home.

Our doctor is Miss Moore, she's lovely. Very sympathetic to what we've been through so far. She has taken a full history of ttc and loss, Ian brings up the wonky period. Miss Moore tells us that because my cycle is normally so regular the chances are that it was not just a wonky period, she enters it in our notes as miscarriage number 5.

She repeats the tests which our GP did but tells us that they are still unlikely to show any reasons for our losses, she also orders some other tests which we haven't had done before now. The results will come back in about 6 weeks.

In the interim she puts in place an action plan for us. I am to stop taking my meds for my arthritis, they may be part of what has caused our infertility and could be a contributing factor to the miscarriages. I must take a very high dosage of folic acid and I am told to test from about 10 days past ovulation every month. When I get a positive pregnancy test I have to phone them the same day and come straight in so that they can administer an injection of 10000 units of hcg hormone to help sustain the pregnancy in the early stages. I will then have to come back once a week for a repeat of the injection and a scan. They will also take blood samples every week to check for clotting issues which she thinks may show up during pregnancy even though the tests are normal when i'm not pregnant, If the tests come back positive I will have to learn to inject myself on a daily basis with blood thinners.

She is hopeful that this will get us through the 1st trimester. If it does I will then be given a stitch in my cervix to reduce the risks of it being weakened by the cancer treatment.

We leave the hospital full of hope for the future.

A few days later we decide that our fifth angel will be named Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment