Thursday 21 July 2011

Fertility clinic

We received our appointment for the fertility clinic and started to get excited, maybe now we would finally be heading down the road towards our dreams. The day of the appointment comes and we reach the hospital only to find we can't go in, the fire alarm is ringing so we have to wait outside until it's decided there is not a fire. I think this was a sign from fate that all was not going to be well.

When we are finally allowed to enter the building it takes us ages to find the clinic, by this time we are over an hour late. The receptionist tells us that because we are so late the doctor will not see us, WTF???? They know nothing about the fire alarm and don't believe us, by this time we're starting to get pretty annoyed. After much discussion which culminates in me threatening to make a formal complaint to the hospital chief executive they finally decide that we are not lying and we are seen two hours after our appointment time. This is where things go from bad to worse!

Before we are seen by the doctor we are sent for blood tests and a nurse measures our weight and height. The doctor calls us in and starts by taking a full history of ttc and our miscarriages. He then moves on to tell us that I am too fat for treatment to which I respond by telling him that I have been trying to lose weight and have lost 2 stone in 3 months. He then says "well you've obviously not been trying very hard have you". He gives us an ultimatum, I must lose another 4 stones before my 35th birthday or we will be refused any help and removed from his list. My birthday is less than 3 months away.

We leave the clinic rather shell shocked.

A few days later I go to my weekly weigh in at weight watchers. I tell the class leader what the action plan is and that my new goal is to lose 4 stones in 10 weeks. She tells me how dangerous this is and immediately cancels my membership because WW cannot support a goal which is likely to cause danger to a persons health.

A few weeks later I see how foolish it is to try to achieve this goal so I stop trying. Knowing that we will now not get any help from the NHS I become very angry and bitter, I still feel the same way now about our experiences as I did then.

No comments:

Post a Comment